Your first visit to our Jenison office will include a thorough dental exam by the dentist in order to make an initial assessment. A preventative plan will be recommended, where you will come in for regular check-ups to include:
• Cleaning and polishing: The cleaning will consist of removal of tartar, which has hardened on the teeth over time, along with the sticky plaque that has formed over the teeth. Plaque is a formation of bacteria and build up that will eventually cause inflammation. The dental instruments and techniques we use will safely remove this build up, followed by a polishing that removes stains and enhances the cleaning.
• Gum evaluation and treatment: Your gums and the bone supporting your teeth will be checked for disease.
• Oral cancer screening: The lips, tongue, throat, neck and gums are examined for any possible signs of oral cancer.
• X-rays: A full set of SAFE dental x-rays are performed and are crucial for giving the dentist information such as state of bone loss (if any), development deviations, abscesses, teeth coming in at the wrong position, tumors and other issues hiding within the teeth and gums. Early detection is important in treating many oral health issues.
• Investigation of existing work: Checking current crowns, bridges, fillings, etc. are done to check for any damage or need for replacement.
Questions? Please call us today at (616) 226-5090 and we’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have.